Human Resources Internship
The Minnesota Zoo seeks an unpaid intern to assist the Human Resources department in day-to-day activities. This internship will give the intern valuable, real-world experience, as well as providing the Human Resources team with additional administrative support. Well suited candidates should have an interest in human resources. Students must be currently enrolled or recent graduates, and plan on pursuing a career in a related field.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist with new hire and benefits orientations
- Assist with recruiting and staffing
- Maintain I-9, employee, and benefits files
- Prepare new hire and benefits packets
- Assist with miscellaneous special projects as needed
- Abide by all Minnesota Zoo employee and intern policies and procedures
- Attend continuing education opportunities (tours, lectures, meetings, etc.) during internship semester as desired
- Project: Complete development and distribution of HR newsletter and HR presence on the Minnesota Zoo intranet (Zoowiki)
- 10-20 minute presentation, or short paper to be completed at end of semester relating internship experiences or relevant research findings
- Other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Business, Psychology or a closely related field. Prior HRIS database experience preferred, but not required. Thorough understanding of current employment legal requirements.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills as well as Microsoft Office skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Reports directly to the Director of Human Resources and the Human Resources Staff
- An ideal intern would be available to work a minimum of 15 hours a week, Monday-Friday during normal business hours. Specific scheduling is flexible.
- The position requires moderate physical effort on a daily basis such as walking, bending, stooping and standing for long periods.
- Interested students must submit a Minnesota Zoo internship application and a resume and cover letter to the Internship Coordinator before being considered for an interview.
Summer Semester: Until filled
For more information, please contact:
Internship Coordinator, Human Resources
13000 Zoo Boulevard, Apple Valley, MN 55124