Public Relations Internship Program
The Minnesota Zoo’s creative, diverse and fast-paced marketing department is responsible for working with all areas of the Zoo and the community to increase engagement and generate excitement for the Minnesota Zoo and its many programs. Internships in this department will work in one of three different areas of the marketing team (marketing and promotions, public relations or sales) on keeping a positive Zoo vibe on-site and in the community that reflects the Zoo’s overall mission and vision. Although interns will need to designate a specific area to work, there will be regular cross-training opportunities during the internship.
Year-Round Internship Opportunities:
Summer Internship Applications due by March 15, 2013
Approximately 10 -14 weeks, up to 40 hours per week; weekdays with some evening and weekend work required. Start and end dates are flexible.
- Writing news releases, public service announcements and other media-related assignments
- Coordinating media events
- Researching and writing copy for the Minnesota Zoo website
- Coordinating publicity for various Zoo programs
- Assisting with on-site media as requested
- Assisting with photography and videography needs
- Assisting with social media efforts, including daily posts, blogs and contests/promotions as needed
- Assisting with market research and on-site guest surveys
- Assisting with off-site media
- Assisting with on and off-site marketing jobs/events, including trade shows, promotional and special events and street marketing as needed
- Organizing media hits from print, broadcast, web, etc.
- Other duties as assigned
You will also have the opportunity to cross-train with the marketing/promotions and sales departments as well as perform additional general office duties.
To be considered for an interview, please include the following:
- 2 -3 writing samples
- Cover letter that answers the following questions:
- What are your career goals, and how would this internship help you achieve them?
- What do you hope to gain from this internship?
- What kind of coursework and/or experience do you have that would make you a valuable Zoo PR/Social media intern?
- Official Transcripts
- Letter of recommendation from an advisor or supervisor
For more information, please contact:
Internship Coordinator, Human Resources
13000 Zoo Boulevard, Apple Valley, MN 55124